Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Van

Ah, the van...My words cannot effectively convey the cordial and amicable atmosphere that is the van, but I will make my best attempt.

The van is a white Ford capable of seating fifteen people: two in the front, three in each of the three middle rows, and four in the back. However, a mere physical description cannot capture the qualitative experience. No, the van is far more than that.

Prior to 7:30 on Monday morning, May 15th, I hardly knew the seven other students with whom I was going to spend the next three weeks. As we all piled in, still groggy from a late night of last minute packing (at least, in my case), I was slightly apprehensive. I wasn't so much concerned about the other students because I was familiar enough with them to know that they were all kind and intelligent people; rather, I was worried about what they would think of me: Would they think that my perspective as a Philosophy major is ridiculous and inapplicable on a trip pertaining to the relationship of the environment and the culture of New Mexico? Would they have similar tastes as me and share some of my interests? Would they even like me?

However, my apprehension quickly faded away as the miles started to roll by: we began to share personal stories, talk about bands or artists that we like, and gradually came to develop an understanding of one another. After an epic game of would-you-rather, belting "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey in unison, repeated emphatic fist bumps in the air, and so many other experiences that are far too numerous to list, we went from being mere acquaintances to being friends. Now, whenever we ride together in the van, I don't feel as though I'm with a group of acquaintances; I feel like I'm with family.

-Jakob Lorsbach

No comments:

Post a Comment